The videos on this site are transformative works used in good faith, in keeping with Section 107 of U.S. copyright law, and as such constitute fair use of copyrighted material.
According to Section 107 of U.S. copyright law, “the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.” The copyrighted materials included on this site are used for all of these purposes, with the exception of news reporting.
The owner of this site, Sean Zdenek, is a U.S.-based scholar who studies and publishes in the areas of Web accessibility, deaf studies, and visual rhetoric.
Every use of copyrighted material on this site adheres to the following principles of fair use:
- Shows good faith by attributing authorship to the original owner or the major distributor (e.g. Hulu) where the full movie can be viewed or purchased;
- Borrows an appropriate amount of material from the original, only what is sufficient (and no more) to put the example under critical, scholarly scrutiny;
- Transforms the original material by reappropriating it for different, always scholarly, purposes. Such transformations may take the form of a re-edited movie clip/mashup or a significant written critique;
- Uses copyrighted material for illustration purposes. Using copyrighted examples for Illustration purposes is necessary when commenting on and critiquing the accessibility of multimedia (one of the subjects of this site);
- Aims to launch discussions of vital issues to Web accessibility experts, closed caption users, new media students and scholars, and anyone interested in the intersection of rhetoric, new media, and accessibility;
- Does not seek in any way to profit commercially. This website is non-profit and is intended as a resource of ideas and examples of the owner’s research, scholarship, and teaching.
To discuss fair use with the owner of this site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.